Recently I wanted to find something I could create with hamburger that wasn’t hamburgers or spaghetti. After some hunting on line, I found Taco Soup to sound pretty tasty actually. A couple of sessions later and I had what I thought was a pretty good recipe and simple to double for larger groups (when the band is over for example 🙂 ).
- 2 pounds of hamburger
- 1 15oz can of sweet corn, drained
- 1 15 oz can of pinto beans, drained
- 1 15 oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 package of Original El Paso taco mix
- 1 heaping 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper to taste (medium hot; adjust as required)
- 1 1/2 cup of water
In a medium pot, combine the corn, beans, tomatoes, package, cayenne pepper, and water and cook on medium heat.
Chop up the onion and in a frying pan, add oil (I use olive oil generally). Cook the chopped up onion for about 5 minutes, until they start to clear. Then add the hamburger. Cook the hamburger until done.
By then, the pot of ingredients should be slowly boiling. Add the hamburger and onion to the pot, cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.